Cancer is one of the most dreaded diseases that is known to humankind. Many questions come to your mind once the initial shock sinks in. You now get into the mode of asking pertinent questions about cancer treatments and cancer hospitals in India. The hospitals have evolved into comprehensive cancer care locations, and some highly skilled medical professionals can counsel you about the treatment process.
1. Your diagnosis has been confirmed as cancer. What is the next step, you ask? The primary focus should be getting the best doctors possible in your case. Search for the best cancer hospital in India if necessary. Look for doctors who have a good track record and are known in their respective fields.
2. It is essential to know what your prognosis is. If cancer has spread, then you might take a relook at getting any invasive treatment done.
3. The treatment plan is the next important question. Do you need surgery? Chemotherapy? Radiation? You need to evaluate the stage of the disease and fix a line of treatment. What are the equipment and facilities available at the hospital your doctor is affiliated to? It is always better to have the procedure at a hospital that has a facility for integrated cancer care.
4. Check the financial commitment needed to go through with the plan. Does your insurance cover the tentative costs? Does the cancer hospital in India have access to your health insurance’s cashless benefit scheme? If not, you might have to look for an alternate method to pay for the treatment and claim the health insurance benefits later.
5. The next step is to create a support group. Ask the hospital whether they have in-patient counseling for the patient and the family as the treatment course can be harsh and depressing.
6. Check for any lifestyle changes that you have to make to overcome the disease. New research shows that dietary changes can slow the advancement of cancer. Many doctors ask you to take up meditation, gentle exercises, and counseling to ensure that you and your family can withstand the pressure and maintain mental and physical health during the treatment.
7. Find out how long the treatment will last. If you have opted to get the treatment done outside your hometown, check if you can continue the rest of the treatment process at a local hospital once the protocol is decided.
8. Many hospitals are involved in cutting edge clinical trials. If you are diagnosed beyond the current stage of recovery, you can ask to be included. This measure may sound extreme but has been found to work in some cases. It is not a bad idea when you are left with few options.
Keep your morale up and fight! Many have beaten the disease, and you are one of them!